Tuesday 25 June 2013

Cooking with Quinoa

Sometimes when I am cooking I like to pretend that I am Julia Childs on T.V., so I can say really cheesy things like 'Cooking with Quinoa' as I wave my hand over my pre prepared table of cooking utensils. The reality of the experience is quite different, I am pretty sure I was wearing my pjs and my utensils were spread from one end to the other. Regardless, with the help of my house mate we managed to create a vegan quinoa explosion of tastiness. So here it is...

Quinoa Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips

 .
The quinoa patties were really quite simple, although I think there is room for improvement. I am a big one for a little bit of this and that, so my measurements might not be exact.
Ingredients:
1 Cup of Cooked Quinoa
1 Brown Onion
5 Mushrooms
2 Big Garlic Cloves
A handful of Walnuts
1 Tbs and a smudge of Tahini
1/2 cup quick cook Oats
And I think that is about it. If the dish doesn't have to be vegan I might suggest adding an egg to bind the ingredients, or we also considered adding some Chia Seeds, but couldn't find them in the cupboard. (any other suggestions are most appreciated)

For those of you who haven't cooked quinoa before, it is very simple. 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup of water. Cook on a medium heat on the stove until it boils, reduce heat and cover for 15minutes. When you open the lid A) watch for steam burn B) don't think there are worms in your quinoa. It is supposed to look like that.

In a separate pan, cook onion, mushroom and garlic. You really could put anything in here. Maybe even some cauliflower could be nice. Some herbs for flavour, mixed Italian always works well. Just heat it up until it is soft. Helpful Hint: Onion takes a little bit longer, put it on first, then add the other veggies.

In a bowl mix together the cooked quinoa, cooked mushroom, onion, garlic, the tahini, walnuts and oats with salt and pepper to taste. Basically now it's all about making the patties. It will be a bit crumbly so grab an egg ring and a spoon and stuff the quinoa mix into the ring, then just slowly pull it off. Perfect Patty Shape! It just needs 30 minutes in a 180 degree C (350 F) oven and you are ready to serve.


I can not take credit for the DELICIOUS chips that we had. But from what I saw, it was sweet potato, sliced Really thin, some oil and salt and pepper, then in to the oven. BOOM, sometimes I genuinely think we might be culinary wizards.

The rest is explained in the pictures and is not too hard to work out. Buns, Salad, Sauce and it is dinner time.

DO IT. Next time you make dinner, make something vegan or vegetarian. You might be quite surprised at how filling and enjoyable it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment